We need a FREELANCE COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER
Hours: 18-20 per week
Start date: ASAP
Location: Colindale, NW9 with some home-working possible
Inclusion Barnet is a Disabled & Deaf People’s organisation that has promoted social inclusion in Barnet since 2010. Our vision is for disabled people to achieve independence through peer-led support services, advocacy, research and policy work; and empowering them to use their lived experience to become community leaders of social change. We bring disabled people and organisations together to overcome exclusion and disadvantage. Current services include Peer Support Brokerage; Into Sport; the Barnet Well-being Hub; running 2 local libraries; and a disability hate crime initiative run by our peer-led advocacy project People’s Choice.
We are looking for an experienced communications specialist to help build our communications capacity, put in place effective communications strategies, and carry out targeted communication campaigns for key services/projects. Working in the rapidly changing environment of health and social care, we are developing our services in response to changing needs and changing public provision. We are currently building a new advice and advocacy service to start in the autumn once Peer Support Brokerage reverts to the local authority. We have also been leading on a new placed-based giving scheme, Barnet Giving, and setting up a new membership service through our trading subsidiary.
To make these projects succeed, we need expert communications capacity, with a focus on copywriting and digital communications/social media. We need someone with a track record of leading on communications work; delivering targeted communication projects; an understanding of the voluntary sector; and a passion for the work we do in community activism, equalities and inclusion. You would be working closely with the Barnet Giving Team and the CEO who have related expertise and experience; and an external designer on the design of key materials. There no dedicated communications staff, however, and you will have to be ready to be hands-on with everything from copy-writing to lay-out to tweeting and data management.
– Barnet Giving
• Produce off and online marketing/information materials for supporting, fundraising and volunteering, including specific campaigns for SMEs and Giving Tuesday
• Produce a number of case studies, including of first grant recipients for use on and offline and for bids • Set up a regular Barnet Giving e-newsletter (template, mechanism, collation schedule etc) that is manageable by the core team in the long term
– Inclusion Barnet
• Create an up-to-date Inclusion Barnet brochure and a public version of the latest annual report with a focus on impact, to publicise the organisation as a whole and build membership
• Set up a regular Barnet Giving e-newsletter (template, mechanism, collation schedule etc) that is manageable by the core team in the long term
• Create a suite of PR materials for the libraries we run – promoting them in general, promoting existing activities and space for hire and carry out an initial PR campaign in the two localities, using existing networks and outlets
• Set up a communications plan for Peer Support Brokerage handover, devising appropriate messages, driving referrals and supporting transition
• Support Into Sport worker in updating promotional materials and a promotional drive
• Support People’s Choice in devising PR materials for its disability hate crime project Digital communications
• Manage weekly Barnet Giving and Inclusion Barnet tweets, build followers and link with related organisations/stakeholders; weekly Facebook postings and encouraging interaction with groups and stakeholders Press/media • Secure local media coverage and coverage in local outlets (e.g. third sector newsletters) and write relevant press releases/articles for Barnet Giving and other Inclusion Barnet services and projects
• Cultivate media contacts and act as first point of contact
• Provide media support for Barnet Giving events The candidate
• 2-years+ in a communications or PR role
•Demonstrable copywriting skills, including press releases, off-and online content and for diverse audiences
• Track record in devising and delivering communication campaigns
• Solid ability to work with WordPress, Twitter, Facebook, Hootsuite
• Experience of proactive media relations work
• Demonstrable understanding of the voluntary sector and delivering communications works at the grassroots level
• Able to quickly grasp and communicate core messages about our brands
• Able to work with a diverse team of people with limited communications expertise/capacity
• Able to work independently and with minimal budgets/resources
How to apply
Please send your CV and a covering letter of no more than 2 A-4 sides on how you meet the requirements and how you would meet the brief to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 July 2017.